Ranking | Faster, higher, stronger: This is the mantra of the world’s 50 highest paid athletes in 2022. With such a mindset, it’s no wonder that last year’s earnings record was shattered.
The 50 highest paid athletes in the world earned a total $2.97 billion Before taxes and agent commissions for the past 12 months (data as of 1Verse May) smashing last year’s record of $2.76 billion.
This year’s ranking numbers are crazy! Here’s what to remember:
3. This is the number of athletes who have exceeded $100 million in total revenue in the past 12 months. LeBron Jameswith revenue of $121.2 million, reached this limit for the first time since entering this ranking, while Lionel Messi ($130 million) and Cristiano Ronaldo ($115 million) achieved this for the fifth time. Only seven other athletes have achieved this feat: Roger Federer, Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor, Neymar, Manny Pacquiao, Dak Prescott and Tiger Woods.
6. This is the number of newcomers this year to the ranking of the 50 highest-paid athletes in the world: the boxer Jake Paul and american football players Josh AllenAnd Stephen DiggsAnd Marshawn LattimoreAnd Ryan RamsickAnd J Watt. Huge NFL signing bonuses (usually paid up front) ensure high turnover. for example, Matthew Stafford occupy 13AndHe took first place in the rankings this year with revenue of $72.3 million, including $60 million in signing bonuses. However, the athlete’s earnings are expected to drop to $27.5 billion next year, which will certainly keep him out of the rankings next year.
Ranking of the 50 highest paid athletes in the world by functional sport
9. This is the number of sports represented in the ranking this year, led by basketball with 18 athletes. American football comes in second with 14 athletes, followed by football (5), boxing (3), golf (3), tennis (3), F1 (2), baseball (1) and mixed martial arts (1) .
14. This is the number of nationalities represented in the ranking this year. The United States leads with 35 athletes. United Kingdom, with Tyson FuryAnd Lewis Hamilton And Rory McIlroyis the only other country to have more than one athlete in the rankings.
Ranking of the 50 highest paid athletes in the world by country
20. This is the number of athletes in the top 50 who did not appear in the standings last year. Among them Kohi Leonard and Rory McIlroy who were in the rankings in 2020, but not in 2021.
32. This is the average age of the 50 highest paid athletes in the world in 2022. At just 23 years old, Kylian Mbappe He is the youngest in the standings and one of seven athletes this year who are under 25 years old. Phil Mickelson(51 years) is the oldest in the ranking. Four athletes in their forties: tiger wood (46 years old), Tom Brady (44 years) , Roger Federer(40 years old) and Serena Williams (40 years).
43,500 dollars. This is the amount Tiger Woods has earned in prize money over the past 12 months, making it the sport’s lowest earning earner in this year’s rankings. Tiger Woods, whose injuries after a car accident in February 2021 limited his participation in the Masters, arrived on the 14And Place in the world rankings thanks to her extra sports income of $68 million. In addition to his lucrative contracts with brands like Nike, Rolex and TaylorMade, the golfer has earned $8 million through the PGA Tour’s Player Impact Program, designed to reward golfers who bring the most interest to the game.
$37.6 million. This is the minimum to reach to be part of the top 50 this year, any income back From the Pittsburgh Steelers, TJ Watt. Last year, that minimum was $34 million. Additionally, since 2013, this represents a 69% increase.
Ten years of ranking the world’s 50 best paid athletes by getting into the top 50
$38 million. These are Jake Paul’s earnings for 12 months. The YouTuber and boxer earned $30 million from two fights. 25-year-old Jake Paul made his professional boxing debut less than two and a half years ago. Since then, it has become one of the biggest attractions in sports.
40 million dollars. These are the reported earnings for Canelo Alvarez After the loss to Dmitriy Bevol On May 7. However, the battle fell outside of .’s tracking window ForbesThese gains cannot be counted this year, thus limiting the Mexican boxer to seventh place in the standings. Had those gains counted, Canelo Alvarez would have found himself initially tied down with Lionel Messi.
43 million dollars. This is Conor McGregor’s earnings for 12 months, who’s 35And In the standings, he tied with Kylian Mbappe. And aside from the $150 million he made last year from selling his largest stake in Irish whiskey brand Proper No. Twelve, that’s an increase of $13 million over 2021, when it topped the charts with $180 million in revenue.
$45.3 million. These are Phil Mickelson’s earnings for 12 months. The golfer has not taken part in any competition since his controversial statement last February: He said he was willing to ignore alleged human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia to join a golf league in the future. It was dropped by several of its sponsors, such as Workday, KPMG and Mastel Light. However, that loss of income was offset by $6 million he earned through his PGA Tour Player Impact and the sale of six golf courses he co-owned in Arizona in August.
$49.5 million. This is revenue over 12 months from Mike Trout Which is touching his record income for a baseball player ($50.6 million in 2019). The Los Angeles Angels signed a 12-year contract worth $426.5 million with his club. Mike Trout is the only MLB player to earn the rank this year. He has earned a significant income from his stake in the Bodyarmor brand.
$59.2 million. This is revenue over 12 months from Naomi Osaka Which also touches the previous record for her sports income ($60 million in 2021). Serena Williams raised $45.3 million, her best performance in the rankings. However, the two aces in tennis, who are ranked 19th in a rowAnd and 31And place, are the only women to appear in the top 50.
$80.9 million. This is revenue over 12 months from Giannis Antikonmo. This is also the revenue limit to be part of the top 10. This limit is the highest in the ranking history.
$121.2 million. This is LeBron James’ earnings for 12 months, which is a record for a player in the NBA. The basketball star broke the record he set last year ($96.5 million). He’s one of four athletes, along with Roger Federer, Conor McGregor and Tiger Woods, to top $70 million in non-sports revenue this year.
130 million dollars. This is Lionel Messi’s earnings for 12 months which equals his earnings record for a soccer player. The soccer star is topping the charts this year. In his first season at Paris Saint-Germain, Messi’s salary is $22 million less than last year at FC Barcelona, but his new partnership with the Socios app has allowed him to make up for that loss.
690 million. This is the number of followers of Cristiano Ronaldo on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The Portuguese footballer is the athlete with the most subscribers on social networks, which partly explains the amount of his contracts with sponsors such as Nike and Herbalife.
Ten years of additional sports revenue
Here are the annual figures for the total non-sports earnings of the 50 highest-paid athletes in the world since 2013.
1.06 billion dollars. This is the sum of extra sports income of the 50 highest-paid athletes in the world this year. Roger Federer tops the list with non-sports earnings of $90 million, which is almost all of his earnings this year ($90.7 million). Seven other athletes have earned at least $50 million in non-sports income: LeBron James ($80 million), Tiger Woods ($68 million), Naomi Osaka ($58 million), Lionel Messi ($55 million), Cristiano Ronaldo ($55 million), Tom Brady ($52 million) and Kevin Durant ($50 million).
Article translated from the American Forbes magazine – Author: Brett Knight
<< اقرأ أيضًا: حصري | ترتيب الرياضيين الأعلى أجراً في العالم عام 2022: ليونيل ميسي مجددًا في القمة! >>>