A dog’s excessive attachment to its master is one of the most common reasons to consult with behavioral vets. It’s about a dangerous problem Which must be taken care of as soon as possible because the dog suffers from what is also calledseparation anxiety unhappy that his master can live a real hell. Here is everything you need to know about dog hyper-attachment, its causes, manifestations, and behavior when encountering this type of dog.
Excessive attachment or separation anxiety: causes
When a dog separates from its mother and siblings to live with its adoptive family, it quickly seeks to bond with one person in particular. This phenomenon is specific to pack animals that need cushioning. If the separation occurred while he was still very young, then his mother did not have time to break the bond that closely binds them, she and her little one. As a rule, this process is completed at puberty, between 5 and 8 months depending on the breed of dog.
When one adopts a puppy, one must proceed just like the mother, that is, to make sure that the tearing is done imperceptibly. However, the anxious animal is so sycophantic and becomes a staple in the lives of his masters who try to reassure him by making him sleep with them or with an endless rapture every morning before leaving for work. It is very unpleasant for a dog to be petted, kissed and reassured and then suddenly separated from his master, and it is even worse if he finally feels some pain when left alone in the house.
Sometimes excessive attachment develops in dogs whose masters try to fill an emotional void by weaving an exclusive relationship with their little companion. So it is always necessary to be very careful about what behavior you should adopt with your animal.
Whatever the cause, separation anxiety plunges the dog into extreme discomfort. Note that there are two types:
- L ‘Primary hyper-attachment : It occurs after weaning and is normal. A dog becomes attached to only one person.
- L ‘Secondary hyper-attachment : It occurs in abused or abandoned dogs who, in general, attach themselves not exclusively to their new master but to many people.
Several events in a dog’s life can cause this separation anxiety such as the arrival of a child into the family, the adoption of another animal, a move that changes the environment. Even if he is not as routine as a cat, a dog can still suffer from disorders if his habits suddenly change.
Excessive attachment to a dog: the signs that you should be aware of
A dog who suffers from excessive attachment to his master feels safe only with him. Once this person is gone for 10 minutes, two hours, or an entire day, the animal is very anxious, and this may take on sudden proportions. The following behaviors are very important and may raise the suspicion of an excessive attachment problem.
- The dog behaves like a bowl of glue, never leaving its master,
- He appears to be submissive to his nanny,
- He appears to be suffering from depression.
- The dog is very anxious when alone,
- constantly “crying” or barking in the absence of his master,
- He is restless
- It destroys everything that smells of its master as soon as it is far away, such as the remote control, clothes, shoes, bed sheets, sofa, armchair etc., and can scratch the door for hours.
- He relaxes himself anywhere in the house,
- He licks himself a lot, bites himself, until he mutilates himself,
- become aggressive
- He could try to escape once his master left his surroundings…
These are manyproblematic situations That disrupts the master’s life and can wreak havoc on the family. It should be known that a dog with hyperattachment syndrome can present a real danger because it’s too jealous This enhances aggression.
Separation anxiety or excessive attachment: a behavior you should adopt in front of your dog
A master who observes this kind of situation must adopt a specific behavior so that his dog learns to manage his emotions and becomes so does not depend on. This is unfortunately far from the case, many people do not even suspect that it is a real problem, and are flattered as if they were tender to see their dog sticking to them 24 hours a day, completely addicted to their master.
He should react quickly For the good of all, humans and animals, the goal is to correct this problem. For example, you need:
- Do not let the dog sleep in the bedroom.
- Animals are prohibited from entering certain rooms (in addition to the bedroom) and do not stop. It can be the living room, kitchen, office, children’s playroom…
- During the absence of the family, determine the surroundings to which the animal has access because it is not at all desirable to have the whole house. The smaller the space, the more secure he would feel. Set up a basket or box of its size and do not forget to put a large bowl of water next to it.
- Be the only one who decides when the game session should start but also end.
- Be completely indifferent when the dog is looking for caress: the master should not talk to him or even look at him. On the other hand, he is the one who calls his animal when he wants to cuddle him. After some time, this change of attitude should allow the dog to understand that only his master initiates this rapprochement.
- Go out and count at different times of the day and remain completely indifferent to the animal’s reactions until it gradually gets used to seeing its master leave.
- Take the animal outside for 15 or 20 minutes before going away and back from the walk, completely ignoring it and leaving the house.
- Put an end to the endless goodbyes every morning before going to work. And in the evening on your return, wait until it is undressed and secured to receive your dog’s short greeting, accompanied by the word and a little foreplay, without further explanation.
- Provide the animal with a certain toy when it has to be alone in the house, and put it away the rest of the time.
- Do not punish your dog if he “forgets” himself in the dwelling when he is alone. Reprimanding him when he is not caught red-handed will have no effect because the dog cannot understand why he was being punished. It can even create confusion.
All of these situations may seem harsh to some people, but they are not. On the contrary, they are part ofEducation And let the dog be better about yourself Because he is less dependent on his master. It is necessary to show a certain detachment in relation to a puppy or an adult dog who suffers from excessive attachment, but in general with respect to all dogs since Separation It is also a course of action As a precaution. Being very exclusive with your loyal companion strongly favors this disorder and even reinforces it if the animal is already suffering from it.
Finally, note that it is very important to consult a behavioral vet to receive valuable advice on what to do with this type of dog. The specialist can also prescribe a treatment for the animal if he deems it necessary which will have the effect of calming the anxiety and anxiety at the time of separation.